A Complementary Approach to Remission

by Jim Drake

Below is the story of my wife Pam and her battle with cancer and what she did to go into remission and what she is doing to stay in remission. This is in no way to be taken as medical advice. This is for the readers information only. I am not a Doctor or have any medical background what so ever. I’m just a guy trying to do what’s best for his wife and now feels I should share this information.The reader will read in places where I have expressed my opinion and that is all it is, MY opinion, it does not mean I’m right. My opinion is based on studies done by professionals and observations made by Doctors,pharmacist,chemist,herbalist, researchers,myself and others. There is new information coming out every day that can change mine and others opinion at any time so I suggest to the reader to do their own research, consult with a professional, and always keep an open mind. No matter if the reader believes in the bible or not I think this verse still holds true. Hosea 4:6 “My people perish for lack of knowledge” The reader will see in my wife’s protocol where I have supplied links to certain products.I have absolutely no connection with these companies what so ever, I’m just telling the reader what and where I get them. These links also have information that I find interesting and the reader may find them interesting also. Again I suggest the reader do their own research.

From The Beginning

December 4, 1998:  Pam felt a lump on the lower part of her neck. She called the doctor the next morning to get it checked and he made an appointment with another doctor to take a biopsy . December 20, 1998:  The doctor did the biopsy. December 28, 1998:  The results came back. It was cancer. The doctor has no idea what kind. The doctor made an appointment for Pam to have a CT scan. January 4, 1999:  The results of the cat scan were in. It showed something in the ovaries and two shadows in the mediastinum (in the chest). The doctor made an appointment with a doctor that deals with ovaries. January 8, 1999: The doctor said there was definatly something in the ovaries but because of the shadows in the mediastinum she was not sure what she was dealing with and thought it would be best to send Pam to an ovarian cancer doctor at the Dana Farber cancer institute. So she made a appointment for her. January 12, 1999:  The doctor at Dana Farber looked Pam over and then sent her to Brigham and Womens hospital down the street for some tests. The tests took about three to four hours and then back to Dana Farber we went. The doctor looked over the tests and said she wanted to take the ovaries out and that there is no way to tell if it’s ovarian cancer or not until the ovaries are out. Pam had to go back to Dana Farber one more time before the surgery and then the surgery was set for February 9, 1999. On February 9, 1999 the surgery was done.The doctor said there were two tumors on one ovary and that she had another doctor look over the intestines and found nothing. The doctor said that it will take some time to biopsy the tumors but she said she had a feeling it was not the primary tumor and that it may not be ovarian cancer. The doctor said they may never find the primary but she said we will have to wait for the results. This not finding the primary really confused us.The doctor gave Pam a prescription for Premarin and then Pam went home a few days later and we waited for the results. February 16, 1999:   The doctor finally called, She said they checked three times to be sure and that was why it took so long. She said the tumors were not the primary and that she wanted to see her in a few days. February 22, 1999: We went back to Dana Farber to talk to the doctor, She looked Pam over and we sat down to talk. She said she was going to set up a appointment to get a colonoscopy done in our home town and then make an appontment with the cancer center in our home town and send all Pam’s records there. She said the oncologist’s there was vary good. This sounded good to us not haveing to travel so far in all. We asked her about this unknown primary thing and she just said sometimes you just don’t find it. She seemed so casual about it that we got the feeling that it wasn’t that bad, we started thinking if it was so small that you can’t find it then how hard could it be to get rid of it with a little chemo. Boy were we dumb!! Anyway she said Pam was out of her field and that we were done with her. March 6, 1999:   Pam got the colonoscopy done. The doctor only found three polyps and he said that we would have to wait for the results of the biopsy but he said I will tell you right now  that they are not malignant. The results later showed he was right. At first we thought this was a good thing and then we started thinking, is this good or is this bad?The fact was Pam still had a primary tumor somewhere and we still don’t know where it was. This was getting very confusing but we were still telling ourselves things weren’t that bad. March 12, 1999:   The big day has finally come. We had a appointment to see an oncologist at he cancer center in our home town and finely find out what Pam has and what they were going to do about it. When we got there a nurse started telling us all these things that made no sense to us and then the doctor came in and started saying things that made no sense to us and Pam and I looked at each other like what in hell are they talking about? Finally Pam stopped them and said well what do I have anyway? They both stopped and then the doctor asked, have you been told the finel diagnoses? Pam said no, that’s what I’m here for now, then she said again so what do I have? The doctor said he thought someone had already told her. We think Pam’s primary care doctor was the one that was suppose to tell her but somehow we went by him, anyway the doctor left the room for about a half an hour and then came back. The doctor told Pam she had adenocarcinoma of unknown primary stage IV metastasized to the ovaries, the lymph nodes in the neck and two places in the mediastinum. Pam asked what kind of treatment they had for it. The doctor said all they could do was to try to preserve the quality of life and that anything they try would be a shot in the dark. He said he had a feeling that the primary was in the small intestine and that the best bet was to go at it like colon cancer. He said that he would start her with 5FU and leucovorin but he said she had only about a 20% chance of it working. Pam asked what if it does work? The doctor said all we can hope for is it can shrink the mets (metastasized or secondary tumors) but it will not get the primary ( the main tumor from where the cancer started). Pam said do you mean I won’t go into remission? He said no you won’t, then he said agian all we can do is try to preserve the quality of life. Pam said, are you telling me I’m going to die? The doctor just sat there and said nothing. Pam started to cry and then got up and went to the bathroom. At that time I looked at the doctor and said are you telling me there is nothing you can do? He raised his hand in the air and moved his fingers and said the seeds have spread too far and it was too late. Pam came back and we asked more questions and the doctor could tell we were trying not to believe him. The doctor finely said he was going to send Pam back to Dana Farber to talk to a gastrointestinal doctor for a second opinion and we said good. The doctor said first he wanted Pam to have a CEA blood tumor marker done before she went. The CEA was 56.0, normal is 0.0 to 5.0 .March 17, 1999:  We headed for Dana Farber to talk to the gastrointestinal doctor. The doctor and his team went through all Pam’s files and looked over the CT scans from back in Jan. and then called us in to talk. The doctor said that he agreed 100% with Pam’s oncologist all the way down to it may be in the small intestine. That was not what we wanted to hear. The doctor said that it would be best to wait and see if the primary shows up or the mets get to big before she tried any chemo. He said that it was a shot in the dark and that it might run her down for no reason, he said if the primary showed up they would have a better way of knowing what may help or not, he said that this would be the best way of inproving the quality of life. The doctor said Pam should have a cat done every 3 months starting from the last one in Jan. so she only had about 2 more weeks before the next one. Pam asked if there was any hope of going into remission, he said no. Pam said so your’e saying there is no hope? He said your’e young (46 at the time) and then he said he had a 70 year old women with almost the same diagnoses as  her and she died within a month and said you are clearly doing a lot better then that. That didn’t help. So Pam was told to do nothing untill something showed up. March 21, 1999: We went back to see Pam’s oncologist and told him what the gastrointestinal doctor said but I think he already knew, he just wanted to hear it from us so he knew we knew. He made a appointment for a cat in about a week. March 25, 1999:  Pam and I had watched a women on the show Hard Copy that had terminal Breast cancer and was given 3 months to live and reversed the cancer with NasalCrom (Cromolyn sodium) or (Disodium Cromoglycate)or (Intal) With a little research I found that it helped inhibit protein kinase C for in turn inhibited angiogenesis and also helps to build or regulate white blood cells, so we said why not, It can’t hurt, so Pam started snorting it 3 to 4 times a day. I even thought of getting the pill form from the doctor thinking it would get to the tumor in the small intestine better but I never did. Jence Thomas the women on Hard Copy later started useing one of those mist pipes they use to clear the lungs 3 times a day but Pam never did that either. Anyway I guess this was the start of us doing something complimentary on our own. April 1, 1999:  Pam had the cat done and went in to see the oncologist. The doctor said that  the cat showed that the tumors in the mediastinum had grown a lot and that he felt he should get her on 5FU now, today. Pam asked what the doctor at Dana Farber thought and he said he would call him right now. The doctor agreed so Pam started weekly 5FU and leucovorin, 6 weeks on and 1 off, that day. May 18, 1999:  Pam finished her first round of 6 and than had another cat and CEA done on her off week and then she saw the doctor The cat showed about a 30% drop in size to the tumors in the mediastinum and no new mets (matastases/spread) the CEA dropped to about 16.0 . This was the best news we had in about 5 months. Pam continued with the 5FU and snorting the NasalCrom. June 28, 1999:  Pam had another CEA done. It was about 13.0 August 10, 1999:  Pam had another cat and CEA done. The cat showed a little drop in tumor size and no new mets and the CEA was about 11.0 plus the lump in the lymph node in her neck was gone. This sounded good until the doctor said that the cat showed nothing in the liver yet, but it will. Just like that (but it will) This told me I had better get searching for something, anything that might help because this oncologist sounded to darn sure of himself. By the way, Pam’s oncologist has been doing this for many years and has a lot of experience and that’s what really scared us. August 18, 1999:  I had an appendix attack and had to have it taken out. I was out of work for some time and had a lot of time on my hands so I started searching the net for anything that might help. Up until then I was looking mostly into conventional medicine with no prevail. I started searching alternative and complementary treatments and found so many I didn’t know where to start first. Laetrile or vitamin B17 was one that seemed to catch my interest so I started to research it. September 10, 1999:  Pam had another CEA done. It was about 14.0 September 15, 1999:  By this time I had read so much about laetrile, apricot seeds, pancreatic enzymes and antioxidants that I was sure there was something to it. I showed Pam a lot of the information I was reading and we both decided why not? So Pam started all of the following very slowly until she was up to 3000 mg of laetrile, 20 seeds, 9 tab’s of Megazyme, 1000 iu Vitimin E, 2000 mg Ester Vitimin. C, 25000 iu beta carotene, 200 mcg of selenium, 100 mg Vitimin B15, shark cartilage about 10 grams, and a good multiple vitamin per day and stopped all refined sugar intake. Not long after Pam started this protocol she stopped snorting the NasalCrom, one is only supposed to use it for no more then 6 weeks and Pam had been on it for 6 months. I still, to this day, don’t know if it helped or not but looking back maybe it helped to stop it from spreading farther. See link below.

October 10, 1999:  Pam had another CEA done. It was about 18.0 and the lump in her neck was  back . The doctor said that the 5FU was not working anymore. He said in the begining that the 5FU would probably only work for about 6 months or so and he was right. He told Pam to waitabout 2 weeks and then he will try something else. October 24, 1999:  I had read a lot about Premarin and found it was bad stuff so Pam got off it. October 25, 1999: Pam’s oncologist started her on Camptosar six weeks on one week off. December 5, 1999: Pam had a cat and a CEA done on her off week. The cat showed that the tumors in the mediastinum had grown some more but no new mets and the CEA was up to  about 24.0 so the Camptosar was clearly not working. The doctor told Pam to take about 2 weeks off and then he will try something else. Pam was glad to get off that stuff because it made  her very sick. In the meantime I added Maitake D Fraction 21 caps, IP6 2 scoops a day, 7 Keto DHEA 25 mg, grape seed extract 1000 mg, Co Q10 400 mg, MSM 2000 mg, milk thistle 450 mg, Fish oil 4 grams, Lyprinol 150 mg, Cats Claw 1500 mg, zinc 30 mg and 200 more mcg of selenium to Pam’s Protocol per day. By the way Pam’s Protocol was divided to 3 doses in the day. Note: Back when Pam started the Megazyme each tab had 10 mg of zinc gluconate in them and now only has 2 1/2 mg per tab so I think it’s important that the reader knows that between the Megazyme, the multiple and the 30 mg Pam was getting 130 mg of zinc a day. December 19, 1999:  The Dr. started Pam on Gemcitabine (Gemzar) six weeks on one week off. About this time I took Pam off the shark cartilage. From the research I had done I found that it didn’t work well taken by mouth. I found that the best results were when one takes it in large quantities by way of a enema two or three times a day and Pam would have none of that. So much for that. February 1, 2000: Pam had another cat and CEA done. The cat showed that the tumors in the mediastinum had shrunk by about 30% and there were no new Mets and the CEA went down to about 16.0. This was great news. March 1, 2000: Pam had another CEA done. The CEA was about 14.0. In the meantime I started Pam on Red21 Ellagic Acid and then a lot later changed to Ellagic plus 4 caps a day. I also had Pam on about 500 mg of Vitamin B3 niacin for a little while but then decided it may not be  a good idea with the chemo so I took her off it. March 15, 2000:  I had done a lot of reading on Flax seed oil and cottage cheese and we decided to give it a try. Pam said there was no way she could eat the Flax oil and cottage cheese alone so I had to make it into a smoothy. I used a 3/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese, 3 tablespoons of Barlean’s flax oil, 1/2 cup frozen red raspberrys, 3 apricot seeds, 1 cup of concord grape juice, 1 cap Ellagic acid and a few ice cubes so the flax won’t heat up in the blender. I did this twice a day. Pam really liked it a lot, in fact I think she kind of looked forward to it. I dropped the Fish oil to 2 grams a day and the Lyprinol to 50 mg a day when she started the Flax oil. If the reader is wondering why I was changing things and adding things when the CEA was going down I realized that the chemo and my protocol was probably not going to put Pam into remission(but I think the protocol stopped the Mets and was keeping her strong) and didn’t know if there was any chemo left that would work at all so my only hope, and Pam’s of course, was to find a protocol that would put Pam into remission before the chemo stopped working. April 1, 2000: I droped the laetrile down to 2000 mg and Pam went down to eating ten apricot seeds a day. I also dropped the maitake d fraction down to 15 caps and I added 100 mg of vit. B6 a day. Back on September 15, 1999 Pam stopped all refined sugar, she started using powdered Stevia in her coffee for awhile but didn’t like the aftertaste so she had been using aspartame (bad stuff) untill I started thinking maybe even though raw honey is sugar it is probablybetter then aspartame. Personally I don’t like any sugar when one has cancer and I don’t like aspartame period, and that goes for the other synthetic sweeteners also. So Pam started putting raw honey in her coffee. While I’m on the subject of coffee/caffeine I just want to say that I had done some research on caffeine and cancer and for everything I found against it I would find something for it. It seems to be 6 of 1 and a 1/2 dozen of another. The jury is still out on this one. Personally I’m leaning towards it doing more good then harm but I’m still not sure. I kind of like this explanation myself.

May 15, 2000: Pam had another CEA done. It was about 12.0 June 30, 2000: Pam had another CEA done. It was about 11.0. The doctor commented on how well Pam was doing and he couldn’t seem to get over how well Pam was holding up to the chemo, he said you must just be one of those people that have a high tolerance for it. He made these comments on a lot of visits, he would say things like, you are just plan amazing on a lot of visits. Pam told him of all the things she was takeing about 8 months earlier but maybe he forgot or just didn’t give it a thought, anyway we never mentioned it again except when the nurse asked if Pam was taking anything and Pam would answer, a whole lot of supplements, and the nurse would say, what, and Pam would say, way too many to write down now, then the nurse would ust say OK, then she would write something down and that would be it. This happened a lot withdifferent nurses but we could tell nobody really cared, so why talk about it. They did their thing and we did ours. Well anyway, by this time I had done a lot of reading on parasites and cancer. Now I don’t know if parasites cause cancer or not but I have always known that a lot of people get them and there is no doubt in my mind if one has them, and can get rid of them, one would be a whole lot better off. So I asked Pam if she would try the parasite cleanse and she said you first. So I ordered the wormwood, the clove and the black walnut hull tincture and did the 21 day protocol. On about the 16th day I had a bowel movement that was very strange, it looked like something I can’t explain, and the methane smell was real bad. I had read that the methane smell was from dead Parasites and I had no reason not to think otherwise. I don’t think this was just some strange coincidence I really think it worked. It was very strange to say the least. Pam did the 21 day protocol but didn’t have anything dramatic happen like I did but she did have some changing in color and a little diarrhea and all I could think was maybe everything came out so slowly it wasn’t all that noticeable, anyway I was glad she did it. August 15, 2000:  Pam had another CEA done. It was about 14.0 September 15, 2000: Pam had another CEA done. It was about 24.0 and the lump in her neck was back. The doctor said the Gemzar was not working anymore and he said that Pam should take some time off. The doctor said that he was going to try Taxol ( Paclitaxel ) next but he said he wanted to wait until the first of the year to do it. I could tell that even though the doctor thought Pam had done really good up until then, he had never changed his thoughts from the beginning. He was still just trying to preserve the qualty of life. October 10, 2000: Pam was haveing a hard time breathing and saw her oncologist. The doctor thought it may be a lung infection so he put her on some antibiotics. October 20, 2000:  Pam and I was walking along the river and came to a small hill, Pam could hardly breathe by the time we got to the top. Something was wrong, it seemed to get a little worse every day and she couldn’t stop coughing. October 25, 2000: Pam saw her oncologist and he had a cat and a CEA done. The CEA was at  225.0 and the cat showed that one of the tumors in the mediastinum was pressing on her windpipe cutting her air off, but at least there were no new mets. The tumors for some reason started to grow real fast, faster than the doctor ever thought it would. The doctor told Pam she  will need radiation right away. October 26, 2000:  I kind of panicked, I just couldn’t figure out what was causing the tumors to take off like that and my thoughts were bouncing everywhere. Finely I decided to drop the co Q10 to 200 mg and take Pam off the IP 6, B15 and the Flax oil, and told her to stop putting honey in her coffee. I brought her up to 4 grams of cold water salmon oil and 2400 mg of a omega 3 complex that included 800mg of flax oil shortly after. Now taking Pam off the IP 6 and the B15 didn’t bother me because I had been thinking of taking her off them anyway and the raw honey/sugar was no question, it had to go, but the Flax oil and cottage cheese has bothered me ever since I took her off it. In all the research I had done up until then I had come across many alternative doctors, herbalist and other people that say that many times when on something  that works that the tumors will grow very large and the blood tumor marker will go very high before it gets very small / low or goes away altogether. Doctor Kelley comes to mind. I wonder sometimes if it hadn’t been for the tumor pressing on the windpipe would it have run it’s course and then disappeared? Or, if it wasn’t for the tumor pressing on the windpipe would it of gone unnoticed until it was to late? Another thought is, in my research, I had read that a lot of times when the primary is killed before the mets the mets take on a new life and start to grow much faster because they are not taking signals from the primary. Now if the primary is in the small intestine it would not be to inconceivable to think that maybe the FO/CC along with everything else killed the primary before the mets because that’s where everything goes first. I guess I will never know the real answer to these questions but Pam is OK and that’s what counts. Anyway I never did put Pam on the FO/CC again but I really don’t want to discourage it because, in my research, I have come across many people that I believe to be very sincere when they say that it helped their cancer alot, so like I said at the top, do your own research and keep an open mind. By the way sometime later Pam told me she really missed the smoothies I made her every day. She really liked it. It was too bad that the one thing in her protocol she really liked I took away. November 1, 2000:  Pam started the radiation. November 7, 2000:  Pam was starting to breathe better and the coughing slowed down. November 25, 2000 Pam was done with the radiation and had a cat done. The cat showed that the tumors went down about 30% and no new mets, the doctor said he will start her on Taxol the first of the year. December 2, 2000:  Pam was feeling a lot of tightening around her chest, she said it was like a band around it. We knew it was from the radiation. She also had to lean to one side to burp, we think it was because the tumor was so close to the windpipe that the radiation hit the windpipe about the same amount as the tumor. Pam’s oncologist thinks so to. She still has this tightening and also leans to burp to this day, but it is not as bad as it was in the beginning. December 7, 2000: Pam started getting heart palpitations and getting very dizzy almost to the point of blacking out but she didn’t say anything to me until sometime later. She said she had hoped it would go away. It didn’t. Pam made an appointment with her oncologist. December 14, 2000: Pam never made it to see her oncologist, the palpitations were so bad she had to go to the emergency room. After all the tests, they found that she had a lot of liquid around her heart so they put her in ICU and put a port in her and started draning the liquid out. We think the radiologist went a little too far but of course he didn’t think so. Later, Pam’s oncologist agreed with us. December 18, 2000: Finally after 4 days in ICU the liquid stopped building and they let Pam go home. They took a sample of the cells in the liquid and said we would get the results later. December 26, 2000: Pam’s primary care doctor wanted to see her. He said he had the results of the cells in the liquid and that he had bad news, he said that the liquid was full of live cancer cells and that they had been seeping into her system. This scared the hell out of me but for some odd reason it didn’t seem to get Pam very upset at all. Maybe she had been at it for so long she was just getting used to bad news, I don’t know. Anyway we just stayed positive, and didn’t talk about it after that. While we were there the doctor asked Pam if she was taking any medication and Pam just said a lot of supplements, the doctor said that’s good and then asked what she was taking. Pam and I started to tell him all the different things she was taking and to our surprise he said that was great and then made some comments on some of the things and also said that there were some things he didn’t know about so he couldn’t comment on them. Then the big one came,Pam said I’m also on laetrile. The doctor looked at Pam and said in a loud voice, I think that’s great! Well, Pam and I almost fell out of our chairs, then Pam asked in a very low voice, do you know what laetrile is? The doctor said in a even louder voice, yes I do and I think that’s great, keep it up! He never elaborated on why he thought it was great but we sure liked the way he sounded. By the way while we were there the doctor gave Pam a great tip on how to stop palpitations. He said to close your eyes and then put your fingers on your eyeballs and apply a lot of pressure for about 30 to 60 seconds. You may have to do it 3 or 4 times. Every once in a while I will get palpitations, probably from too much coffee, anyway I have done this about three times and it worked every time. I just thought that would be good to know, I think it’s pretty cool myself. On December 28, 2000:Pam went in to see her oncologist. He said because of all that has happened that she needed to get on Taxol today. (weekly taxol 135 mg 6 weeks on 1 off) He said that if the Taxol doesn’t work there is nothing else out there at this time. Pam had read a few bad stories about Taxol and the allergic reactions one might get from it (Pam has allergies) and was very nervous. Pam took a walk around the bulding to think about it. The doctor came up to me and told me that she has got to do it today and that he was worried about the live cancer cells that seeped into her system. I said I know and she will, just give her some time. Finally Pam got it done, but I had never seen her that scared in my life. The other chemo’s didn’t seem to bother her much but for some reason Pam had a bad feeling that this stuff was going to kill her. As time went on it got easier for her. On December 28, 2000: Pam had to see a heart doctor right after her first Taxol treatment. The doctor looked Pam over and then asked if she was taking any antioxidants. Pam told him what she was taking and he said that’s good and then started to write it all down. He commented on some and said he couldn’t comment on others but all in all he had no problem with anything. We never said anything about the laetrile, it had been a long day and we just didn’t want to get into it. The doctor told Pam she should be taking at least 1000 mg of calcium, she was only getting about 200 mg at that time. The doctor prescribed Digitek and Atenolol. The next day I dropped the co Q10 down to 100 mg because I was not sure if 200 mg was too much or not enough with the beta blocker, and I added 1000 mg of calcium with 400 iu Vitamin D3 and 500 mg of magnesium. I also, around this time, took Pam off the Ellagic Acid. In my research I found that Ellagic Acid has the ability to inhibit a lot of the phase 1 P450 enzymes that are responsible for drug/pharmaceutical matabolism and at the same time it has the ability to enhance the phase 2 P450 enzymes responsible for detoxification ( although some phase 1’s do detoxify ). Now to  me this is absolutely great, it helps to stop chemicals/toxins from entering the cells, and then when some do get through it enhances the ability to detoxify them, but when one is on chemo one wants the opposite effect in the short term. I believe Ellagic Acid has the ability to stimulate the efflux pumps in the cells, these are tiny little pumps in the cells that pump out toxins. The cancer cell or cells making up a tumor over time have the ability to grow more pumps which in turn gives the cells/tumor the ability to pump out more toxins/chemo. This is the main reason for chemo resistance but not the only one. The longer the tumor is there, the more pumps it will have, and the more resistant it will be, this is why both Pam’s oncologist and the gastrointestinal doctor at Dana Farber said that they may shrink or even get the mets/secondary tumors but they can’t get the primary because the mets have not been there as long as the primary. They think Pam’s primary, as small as it is, has been there for a long time. Anyway, my thoughts on it is hold back until after chemo and then go for it. This is just my take on it, it does not mean I’m right, It is interesting to note that LEF recommends their multiple that has 130 mg of Ellagic acid in it for chemo and they know a heck of alot more then I do on the subject, so please do your own research. Below is some info on detoxification and the P450 enzymes.
January 2, 2001: I found that selenium worked well with taxol so I went from 400 mcg to 800 mcg a day and gave Pam 400 mcg 2 hours before taxol. Below is some info on selenium and taxol. At one time over 2 1/2 years ago there was a news article of a study done by Dana Farber where they were very excited with the results of using selenium 2 hours before taxol. Oddly it disappeared. I wonder why? January 3, 2001: Pam had a CEA done. Her oncologist needed a starting point because they never got a CEA done after the radiation. It was 96.0 January 24, 2001: Pam’s oncologist said her white blood cells were kind of low( borderline ) and he wanted to make sure she got through all 6 treatments so Pam got one of those booster shots ( I forgot what you call it ) and was fine after that. That was the first and only time Pam had to have the booster. In the meantime I ran out of Liprinol and I never did order more. Looking backI think that was kind of stupid. Liprinol is a unique omega 3 with a whole different chain and supposed to be a good cox 2 inhibitor, but anyway things turned out ok so I guess it didn’t make that much difference. I also dropped the grape seed extract, I don’t really know why, I guess I had chemo resistance on my mind, but looking back I don’t think it would have hurt anything and probably would of helped some. Let me recap Pam’s protocol at this point because I had made so many changes I think I should regroup. At Pam’s request on the first of the year the dosage was divided to twice a day instead of three times a day. I like three myself. I will put M for morning, N for night and 0 for none. Multiple Vitamin Solgar no iron M&0, laetrile 1000 mg M&N, Magnizyme Forte Plus 4 tabs M&N (now called Omnizyme), Ester C 1000 mg M&N, Matake D Fraction 7 caps M&N, Cold water Salmon oil 2 grams M&N, Omega 3 complex 1200 mg M&N, Co Q10 100 mg M&0, Calcium 500 mg with Vitamin D3 200 iu and Magnesium 250 mg M&N, Cat’s Claw 500 mg M&N, Zinc Chelate 30 mg M&0, Selenium from yeast 400 mcg with 100 iu vitamin E M&N, Vitamin E 400 iu M&0, MSM 1000 mg M&N, Vitamin B6 100 mg M&0, Vitamin A 10,000 iu M&0 every other day, 7*Keto DHEA 25 mg M&0, Milk Thistle 150 mg M&N, B complex 50 mg M&0, Apricot seeds 10 divided in the day, Drug Atenolol 25 mg M&0, Drug Digitek 0.125 mg M&0, Pam would take a 1/2 a Valium once in a great while when she felt some stress coming on. Stress can excellarate cancer. Pam tried to eliminate stress as much as possible. Note: On Chemo/taxol day Pam would only take 400 mcg of selenium with 100 iu Vit. E 2 hoursbefore. Pam would skip the rest of the morning dose and only take the nightly dose that night and then back to normal the next day. February 8, 2001: Pam had a cat and a CEA done. The cat showed that the tumors in the medistinum had srunk well over 50% and no new mets and the CEA was 13.4 . Plus the lump in her neck was gone. This was a really good day. April 5, 2001: Pam had a CEA done. It was 2.6 ( NORMAL!!!!!!! ) This surprised us and the doctor, then to top it off a few days earlier Pam had a follow up with her heart doctor and he had blood work done and unknown to us he had a CA-125 blood tumor marker done and sent it to Pam’s oncologist. It was 13.0 . Normal is 0 to 35 . This was a great day but we never heard the word we had been longing to hear ( remission ) still a great day anyway. We can wait. From here the oncologist started slowly bringing Pam down to a maintenance dose. Pam went 4 on 1 off, 4 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off, and finally around 08/10/01 she was down to 1 treatment of 135 mg every other week from then on. I don’t know what Pam’s oncologist was thinking when he put Pam on a maintenance dose of every other week but I had read that low dose Chemo/Taxol for a extended period of time, 1 year or more, has had much better results with chemo resistant tumors, held remissions longer (if not forever), and had a lot less side effects. It is thought that when one goes from high dose to low dose chemo, the chemo goes from killing cancer cells to cutting off the blood supply to the tumor called angiogenesis inhibition, although it will still kill cancer cells the conventional way to some degree, new mets for instance. The link below explains this concept better and although taxol at 135 mg every other week for a extended period of time dosn’t seem the same, to me it seems similar.
June 5, 2001:  Pam had a CEA done. It was 1.8 . We still didn’t hear that word but it was another great day. August 10, 2001:  Pam had a CEA done. It was 1.9 . We still didn’t hear that word. November 1, 2001:  Pam’s oncologist wanted to do another CEA. Pam said no. Pam told the doctor that she has had the last three holiday seasons ruined and that she just didn’t want to know antthing or even think about it until after the first of the year. The doctor just said ok, he didn’t seem to have a problem with it so Pam continued with the Taxol every other week, stuck with her protocol, and we had a good holiday season. January 10, 2002  Pam had a CEA done. It was 1.6 . This was great news. I don’t mind saying that I was getting kind of nervous because it had been so long. What a relief!! I always try to refrain myself from negative thoughts when I’m around Pam. I stay positive thinking most of the time for it helps Pam to stay positive, although Pam dosn’t need much help in that department. Pam is one incredible women, and I’m not just saying that because she is my wife, I really mean it, she is incredible, right from the beginning when she was getting all kinds of bad news I would watch her go into a kind of low for a short period, sometimes only minutes, and then shrug it off and then put a smile on her face and crack a joke or two. The doctors and nurses always seemed to be amazed with her attitude and friends, family and the people she works with never seemed to really realize how serious Pam’s situation was and I think that was just what she was trying to do. It helped to keep negative thoughts away, although most people were positive  thinking around Pam and I think that helped alot. Over this whole ordeal Pam had alot of the usual signs of someone on chemo like with the 5FU she lost her eyebrows and had some black and blues, her hair thinned on the gemzar and she lost her hair alltogether on Taxol and had to wear a wig, she had lost a lot of weight but with her attitude and joking about her overall appearance it seemed to make everybody think that things were just fine, myself included. I don’t know what I would do if Pam didn’t have this positive attitude, it sure helped to keep me calm, and still does. Pam told me not too long after the final diagnosis that she was not going to let it eat at her and that she was going to try and stay positive and not dwell on it. Pam has done  that very well. Some people have this ability to switch things off when they want to. I know things enter Pam’s head a lot but then she manages to switch it off and go on, I beleive that this ability contributed a lot to Pam’s remission, I don’t know if I could do the same if I was in the same situation. I guess I will never know unless I have been there. On Pam’s last visit with her oncologist he said he was going to go 8 more weeks (that’s 4 more treatments) and then give her a break. Yup that’s what he said, a break. I knew then that’s why he wouldn’t say the word remission because he thought the taxol was just holding the cancer back, but I can’t help but think by this time that deep inside he thought remission was possible. I think he just didn’t want to get Pam’s hopes up too high only to be let down a short time later. I remember saying to myself, break my ass, Pam’s going to show him a long break, like forever. Around January 15, 2002 I started to hit the net hard, or harder, I should say. Pam thinks I spend way to much time on the net researching, about 4 or 5 hours a day, but I just can’t stop, I’m always afraid I’m going to miss something important. I feel that one usually only gets one chance at this so one had better make it a good one. All I can say is thank God for the net. Anyway I discovered that Pau d Arco/Beta lapachone and vitamin D3 was synergistic to taxol. Beats me how that got by me but I figured better late then never, so I made some strong Pau d Arco tea and Pam started drinking 8 oz of it twice a day and then later once a day. I also got some Pau d Arco extract, Pam put a teaspoon in her coffee every morning. Pam was getting 800 iu of vitamin D3 a day and I remember thinking maybe it helped a little bit, but I added 2000 more IU’s from then on. Pam drank the tea just before bed the night before taxol day and then put the extract in her coffee 2 hours before taxol that morning. Pam would also drink coffee during treatment. I would like to remind the reader of the earlier link on caffein and chemotherapy. In my research on taxol I made an observation that I’m not really sure about, but in my research I would find little bits and pieces indicating the ability of calcium and zinc to actually enter the microtubule and straiten, open and stabilize them and let the taxol enter. This is how taxol works, although it is a lot more complicated than this, It enters the tiny tubes called microtubles in the cell, then stabilizes them, then when the immortal cancer cell goes to divide in two it dies naturally instead of continually multiplying into a tumor or a larger tumor. I have read a lot of testimonials of people on taxol along with taking a complementary protocol and the ones that had really good results I noticed they all had one thing in common, they all took 1000 to 2000 mg of calcium and at least 50 mg of zinc or more. Of course they where doing a lot of the same antioxidants also. Now I’m sure these people wasn’t thinking of this microtuble thing when they started taking calcium and zinc but they may have added a little extra punch without knowing it. Anyway, Pam was already on 1000 mg of calcium and 120 mg of zinc from the beginning of taxol so maybe she got that little extra punch also. Like I say, this is just a observation and who knows, maybe I’m all wet, but in my opinion when one is on chemo one has to replace the calcium and zinc that the chemo sucks out anyway. And also a high intake of calcium has been connected with a high PH and a high intake of zinc has been connected with rebuilding the thymic gland that is responsible for a major part of the immune system, chemo depletes the thymic gland. And high zinc has also been connected with copper inhibition which, in turn, causes angiogenesis inhibition. So to me it’s a win win situation. Remember, this is just my own theory, do your own research. Here is some info on Pau D Arco/Beta Lapachone and Taxol. Notice on the first link where they say beta lapachone alone worked about the same as taxol alone. To me that’s a mouthfull. Dana Farber made the same comment about selenium and taxol in the news article that disappeared. I just find that very interesting.
The reader will see on the next link where Dana Farber sold the rights to beta lapachone under the name CO-501.
The reader will see on the next link where CO-501 is going into clinical trials in mid 2003. Yup, this year.
Go below to PubMed and type in beta lapachone to see all the studies being done.
Below is some info on Vitamin D3 and Taxol. Notice in the first 2 links where they say that Vitamin D3 worked better alone then Taxol alone. They have been using different D3 analogs  in the studies but I would almost be willing to bet that the more natural form from supplements would work as well. Notice I said more natural, the real natural form you get from the sun and your own body. January 20, 2002 I had about ten days worth of wormwood left with about two months left on them so Pam used them up. On February 28, 2002 Pam had her last taxol treatment. On March 13, 2002 Pam was off chemo and Pam and I were bound and determined she was going to stay off it. We decided to add and change a lot of things in the protocol, a sort of post chemo protocol athough there is a lot of things in it that I probably should have had her on right along. I also made a big change in the brands I buy. It had always been hard enough to figure out what type of supplements to buy but to figure out from who was just about as hard. I used a lot of different brands and I’m sure most of them were just fine but I was getting tired of going all over for this that and the other thing and still not sure of the quality. Throughout all my research I would always come across the Life Extension Foundation and people speaking very highly of them. I thought many times in the past year or so of going with them but I didn’t want to change anything when things where starting to look good. Now Pam was going into a new ballgame and I just decided to heck with it, I’m going to go with them for the most part and also pick out a lot of their reconmmendations from their cancer adjuvant protocol. So on March 13, 2002 I made a big change but I stuck with a lot of things I couldn’t get through them and some things I just didn’t want to change. I guess I added to the protocol more then changed it.Pam takes a lot of things in this protocol in the link below plus a lot of other things she was already taking. The LEF protocol on the link below has been updated on March 4. 2003. Updates: Over the past year I have tweaked Pam’s protocol. I have added and subtracted some things so I will put the updates in red below.
Here is a list of what Pam is taking. The first number will be the AM dose, the second number will be the afternoon dose, and the third will be the late PM dose. I will put 0 for none.

1- 3-3-3LEF MIX

2- 1 Tbs-0-0LEF Herbal Mix

Update: As of August 1, 2002 Pam stopped taking the herbal mix altogether. It didn’t mix well and she really didn’t like it so I didn’t push her to take it because she was already doing a lot.

3- 0-1-0 se-methlyselenocysteine or LEF’s Se MSC  Note: LEF came out with this around april 02. I started Pam on this around the end of April 2002.

4- 2-0-2 se-methlyselenocysteine or seleniumMC

Note: Before LEF came out with their SeMSC, Wholesale Nutrition was the only one in the world (I think) you could get this kind of selenium and because Pam is doing so well I did not want to change completely over to LEF’s but I’m pretty sure LEF’s is just as good and it cost less. Update: As of February 1, 2003 Pam went to 1-0-1

5- 1-0-0 7-Keto DHEA

Note: Pam takes 7-Keto DHEA in the place of the regular DHEA because it well not raise Testosterone or estrogen. It cost more but I think it’s worth it.

6- 0-0-1 Melatonin

7- 3-3-3 Magnizyme Forte Plus

Note: Pam has been doing these since around 09/15/99 and I think they are one of the most important things in her protocol. Pancreatic enzymes can eat away the protective protein coating that protects the cancer cell and let’s the immune system and any cancer fighting supplements one may be taking in to kill the bad cell. This also includes chemo. I buy my enzymes from the above link because I get them cheaper there, but I like the explanation on the link below . The label will say Omnizyme, It’s the same thing as Magnizyme or Megazyme just a different label. If one ordered from the above link it will also come with the Omnizyme label. I would also like to remind the reader that the zinc content is not 10 mg anymore, it is now 2.5 mg. Note: For a short time I added some Pork enzymes to Pams protocol 2-2-0 but coupled with the other enzymes it gave Pam diarrhea, I tried 1-1-0 and it still did, so I cut them out all together and she was fine after that.

8- 1-0-1 Vitamin D3 Update: As of January 1, 2003 Pam went to 1-1-1 She will go back to 1-0-1 in May.

9- 0-1-0 LEF Booster

10- 2-1-2 Mega EPA

11- Omega 3 complex 1200 mg 0-1-0 Note: I get this from my local herbal store, it’s their own blend.

12- 2-2-2 Super Green Tea Extract (95% decaf)

13- 1-0-0 COQ10

14- 2-0-2 Kyolic Garlic Formula 105

15- 2-0-2 Pur-Gar

16- 2-1-1 Super Curcumin with Bioperine

Update: As of February 1, 2003 Pam went to 1-1-1

17- 0-1-0 Super K

18- 1-1-1 Silibinin Plus

19- 0-1-0 Calcium Citrate W/D3

20- 2-1-2 Nature’s Way Calcium, Magnesium & Vitamin D3

Note: When I changed to LEF on March 13, 2003,  I ordered Calcium and then I started thinking that Pam has been taking this for some time now and is doing so well why change.I like it that it has 3 kinds of Calcium plus the Magnesium.


22- 0-0-1 MSM

23- 1-1-1 Cat’s Claw

Note: I buy it at my local health/herb store. Update: as of February 1, 2003 Pam went to 1-0-1

24- 5-5-5 Maitake D-fraction

Note: When Pam has a CAT scan or a Xray done I give her 7-7-7 for a week before and a week after. Update: As of February 15, 2003 Pam went to 3-0-3 and added Host Defence see #34

25- 1-0-1 Beta 1,3 Glucans From the yeast cell wall.

Note: I added 400 mg’s of Beta 1,3 Glucan from yeast, it cost less and I think it gets Pam more diversified. Update: As of March 1, 2003 Pam went to 0-0-1

26- 0-1-0 Zinc 30 mg amino acid chelate

Note: I have been giving Pam this kind since September 15, 1999 so I’m staying with it.

27- 0-0-8 oz  Pau D Arco Tea

Note: Pam puts a lot of lemon juice in her tea. It has no sugar in it and it helps to bring her ph up.Some even think it helps to increase the tea’s bio-availability. A good quality Pau D Arco tea is probably one of the hardest herbs to find in the internet jungle. Some grind up the outer bark along with the inner bark. Some even grind up the whole tree, and some is so old and dry that most of the good properties are gone. After searching all over the net I finely come across Roger DeLong’s site ( the site above ) Now I can’t say I can be 100% sure of the quality of Roger’s tea, but what I can say after reading his site, passing eMails back in forth, and talking to him on the phone, I get a general feeling that Roger is an honest and caring man. Sometimes all one has to go on is ones instinct and gut feelings. Roger and I don’t exactly see eye to eye on some things, laetrile for instance, It’s not that he is against it, he is just vary skeptical of it. Roger seems to be very skeptical of a lot of things, he’s a hard man to convince, so for Roger to be so convinced about Pau D Arco tea, to me is really saying something. Roger believes that just the tea, some vitamin K and maybe a good multiple is all one needs to fight cancer. He suggest plenty of clean water also. This is another thing I don’t agree with. I think one should hit it from all four sides with everything one has, but who knows, maybe he’s right, he has a lot more experience with Pau d Arco tea then me, and with all the research I have done I have no dought that Pau d Arco is a good cancer killer, I just don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket. Back in mid 2002 Roger stopped selling the tea to new customers, he wants to get the word out on the benefits of Pau d Arco tea and he thinks selling it takes something away from his integrity. Now I just don’t get that, I believe as long as it is a quality product one can sell it and still keep their integrity at the same time. Geeezzz somebody has got to sell it. I don’t care if someone makes money off me just so long as I get what I pay for, and yes, there are a lot of crooks out there so one has got to weed through the jungle, it sucks but that’s the way it is. When Roger stopped selling the tea I bought a vary large amount, so I’m good for a long time and Roger informed me that he will still supply me if I need more. At a very low price I might add. But when the time comes that I can’t get the tea off Roger I will need another good source. Awhile back I came across this site and had a feeling that they got their tea from Roger when they started their fight with cancer, so I emailed Roger and asked him if he knew them. Roger said indeed he does know them and he speaks highly of them, and that they sell the same quality tea as he. Roger said at first they wanted to be a destributor for him but Roger said he wanted out of the business ( that integrity thing again ) so they are on their own. Roger said he did supply them with the tea wholesale, whether he does now or not, I don’t know. To me I believe If or when I need another source this site will probably be my best shot for quality, again that comes from a little knowledge and a big gut feeling. This is just to tell the reader what I would do, of

course the reader has no way of knowing of my integrity either, that’s just the way it is. I suggest the reader do their own research and go with their own gut feelings.

28- 1 tsp-0-0 Pau D Arco extract

Note: Pam puts 1 tsp in her coffee in the morning. I started giving Pam this brand at the suggestion from Roger DeLong. Roger looked into this company a little and said he liked the overall process they use to make the extract. Roger will tell you that the extract is just a good booster, and that the tea is the best cancer fighter. Roger stresses this point alot. Pam and I put it in our coffee, I really like it, it’s good.

29- 2-2-2 Laetrile/Amygdalin/Vitamin B17 500 mg

Note: Pam has been on this since September 15, 1999. I gave her 2-2-2 for her first six  months than I brought her down to 2-0-2 for 2 years and then, when Pam got off Taxol, I went back to 2-2-2 on March 13, 2002. Update: As of January 1, 2003 Pam went to 1-1-2 I believe laetrile/B17 can cure some cancers mostly in the early stages. It seems to work best on adenocarcinoma. ( just a observation) I believe B17 can stop metastasis (spread) in all cancers.From all that I have read, this is an observation of many, but the observation of one person and two words is what sticks in my head.Doctor Kanematsu Sugiuan one of the best researches at Sloan Kettering back in the 70’s with 60 years of experiance, did some extensive research on laetrile and cancer. When a reporter asked Dr Sugiua, Do you stick by your belief that laetrile STOPS the spread of cancer? He replied ( I STICK ). This is on record! Now I can do all the research in the world and It would still not mean as much as those two words “I stick” coming from such a man of experience and integrity. Dr Sugiua said, I write what I see, and I believe him.

More on laetrile/B17 below on cancer diet.

30- 10 throughout the day Apricot Kernels/seeds Note: Pam has been eating the seeds since 09/15/99 also. She ate 20 a day for the first 6 months then went down to 10 a day from then on. I wanted her to go no lower then 15 but she wanted to go to 10 so that was that. 15 to 36 is the recommendation when one has cancer. 10 a day for life is the recommendation in remission. Note: Up until July 17, 2002 I have always gotten my seeds from Christian Brothers (1-718-651-3790) but on my last order it took a long time to come in. They have been having a lot of trouble with the FDA for the last 3 years, so that may be the problem. I have been ordering from the link  above lately and the seeds seem to be just as good as the ones I had been getting from C.B., I feel comfortable with them. Pam and I started out very slowly with the seeds, eating just 1 or 2 at a time spread throughout the day until we were to the amount we felt we needed. When we first started out, anything more then 2 would drop our blood pressure so fast that we would feel light headed and have to sit down. This happens to most people in the beginning, it is said that it’s because the body has been lacking nitrilosides for so long it takes time for the body to adjust. In the beginning the seeds should taste bitter, this is how one can tell how fresh they are. The more bitter they are the fresher they are. Over time the seeds will not tast as bitter as they did in the beginning because the body is getting used to them, this is a observation of many. I have had high blood pressure for years, I eat 5 seeds at once, twice a day, with no light headed feeling and the bitterness is cut to half and whenever I get my blood pressure checked all I ever hear is perfect, this is a observation by many also. Pam still only eats 2 or 3 at a time, spread out in the day, until she gets to 10. The apricot seed is the second best source for natural nitrilosides. The best natural source is the bitter almond. It is said it takes about five apricot seeds to get the same amount of nitrilosides that one would get from 1 bitter almond. It is also said that there are some trees that produce an even higher content then that. In 1995 the bitter almond tree was banned from the U.S., I find this a bit odd. The FDA has been trying with a lot of effort to ban the apricot seed for some time now but they just don’t seem to know how to go about it. I find this very odd also. Haven’t they got better things to do? This puts up flags all around me. Think about it! Below is something one may call not very scientific but I find it very interesting just the same. One more interesting note is that in some asian countries they refer to apricot seeds as almonds. Below are readings from Edgar Cayce, the sleeping prophet.
QUESTION: In general, What do Cayce’s readings say about cancer?(rogman) REPLY: From READING 1206-13 Given on November 23, 1941 “…if ye would take each day, through thy experience, two almonds, ye will never have skin blemishes, ye will never be tempted even in body toward cancer nor towards those things that make blemishes in the body-forces themselves.” From READING #3180-3 Given on December 21, 1943 “…almonds are good and if an almond is taken each day, and kept up, you’ll never have accumulations of tumors or such conditions through the body. An almond a day is much more in accord with keeping the doctor away, especially certain types of doctors, than apples. For the apple was the fall, not almond – for the almond blossomed when everything else died. Remember this is life!”
Vary strange coincidence don’t you think? 31- Drug, Atenolol 25 mg 1-0-0 Update: Around 09/15/02 Pam went to 12 1/2 mg 32- Drug, Digitek 0.125 mg 1-0-0

33- 2-2-0 CLA Update: November 1, 2002 I added CLA to Pam’s protocol.

34- 0-2-0 Host Defence

Update: January 15, 2003 I added Host Defence to Pam’s protocol. Update: As of February 1, 2003 I started giving Pam just one small dose on Sundays. I had read many times that small breaks in a supplement protocol can actually make the supplements work better. I don’t really know why, maybe a break gives everything time to level out and start working together, beats me. Some take as much as a week off every month but I still don’t dare to do that yet, but one small dose a week seems ok to me. Pam takes the below at mid day but she still takes the Pau d Arco tea, extract, and seeds at the same time. laetrile 2 tabs, Green tea 3 caps, Omega 3 complex 1 cap, Curcumin 1 cap, Vitamin. C with bioflavonoids 500 mg 1 cap, CLA 1 cap

Cancer Diet

Pam has never been on a real strict diet but what she has done I think has helped a lot.She started the below around September 15, 1999. 1- She started eating more raw vegetables (salads) and less red meat and pork. 2- She started eating fish at least 1 time a week if not 2. Many know that one needs to keep a certain balance of omega 3 (found in fish) and omega 6 (found in meat) and that most of us eat way to much omaga 6. So besides taking omege 3 supplements, eating fish can help a lot because when one is eating omega 3 one is not eating omega 6 so one is actually doubling the affect. 3- NO SUGAR!!! Well very low sugar anyway. Pam stopped her sugar intake as best she could around Septemeber 15, 1999: but it’s almost impossible to get away from sugar altogether.They put sugar in just about everything. Pam stopped eating simple sugars (refined sugar) like pastries, candy, sodas, ice cream, etc, and she eats very little complex sugars like fruit, and drinks very little fruit juice. The complex sugars don’t spike like simple sugars do but to me it is still sugar and cancer loves sugar.Pam still eats carbohydrates like bread and rice, among other things, I don’t think it’s a good idea, but she don’t eat a whole lot of it anyway. I think stopping sugar intake is probably one of the most important things one can do to fight cancer and it doesn’t cost a thing, In fact, one may even save some money. If one is on laetrile therapy a no sugar diet becomes twice as important. Sugar turns to glucose, the cancer cell consumes glucose in great quantities for energy ( fuel ) so it can divide and grow into a tumor and then continue to grow. The cyanide in laetrile is wrapped in glucose. The whole idea is to bring ones sugar level down as low as possible and then take the laetrile, with the cancer cell starving for glucose the laetrile acts like a smart bomb, the cancer cell takes up the glucose along with the cyanide and BOOM!! I was told when one has cancer and eats something loaded with sugar it is just like throwing a cup of gasoline on a smoldering fire. I think this guy is right on, I think it’s a perfect comparison. I believe It may be possible to slow cancer down by as much as 50% by just stopping sugar intake. It would be kind of like keeping it to a smolder. It is thought that if one could stop all sugar/glucose the cancer would die immediately, but so wouldn’t your brain. The brain needs lots of glucose. There are many working on this dilemma but in the meantime one can at least slow it down by not overloading themselves with sugar. The reader may be wondering how Pam keeps track of all the supplements she takes and how she knows she didn’t miss any. I lay out seven days worth at a time using a plastic fishing tackel


(I got mine from Wal-Mart) and she keeps it in a dark cool place. She has a carrying pouch for when she is going somewhere, she just takes a dose with her. I think it is a lot easier for her because I keep track of all the inventory and do all the ordering and lay them out for her, all she has to do is take them (that’s enough) On March 17, 2002 Pam and I went to Disney World for a week. I think this was the best medicine for Pam at that time. We went on all the rides. A lot of people with cancer use a rebounder ( a small trampoline ) to bounce up and down to get the lymph nodes moving, this helps to detoxify the body and get the immune system going. Well Pam got bounced around alot, and then on top of that, she got a lot of sun ( vitamin D3 ), She did a lot of walking, got a lot of fresh air, and had a lot of fun doing it. Laughter helps to heal both body and mind. This helped to get Pam’s mind off everything and helped to take any stress she had away. I recommend this for everybody. On April 4, 2002 Pam had a CEA done. It was 1.9 . Pam’s oncologist walked into the room with a big smile on his face and said, Quote: You are absolutely my favorite patient. Pam just laughed. He said, no, you really are, you are absolutely amazing. I then looked at the doctor and said, things are starting to look pretty good aren’t they doc? He looked at me with a big smile and then gave me the thumbs up. Then he went on to say that Pam was doing great and that he couldn’t predict Pam’s future with cancer no more then he could predict his or mine. So the doc was happy, we were happy, it was a great day. All the doc said was, I’ll see you in two months, he never said that word but all we could think of was maybe he didn’t think it’s been a long enough time without the chemo, it was kind of strange but we’ll wait. We never ask and athough Pam and I hardly talk about it, we both want the Doctor to say it on his own, and he just won’t. Maybe next time. On June 6, 2002,  Pam had another CEA done. It was 1.6 . Pam had gotten the results from the nurse before the doctor come in the room. Needless to say we were excited and relieved. I remember thinking, It’s been three months without chemo, we are definatly going to hear that word today. The doctor walked in and to our surprise, instead of acting really happy like the last visit, he seemed very quiet and serious. He said he was happy with the CEA and then started going into this long speech about Pam’s long history. He picked up Pam’s file and said, see how thick this is? He said, I have another one just as thick in my office. To make a long story short, he was telling Pam that when most people have this kind of history (and he referred a little to the live cells in the liquid 18 months earlier among other things) that Pam’s odds were still not that good. The doc said he wanted a CEA done in 2 months, Pam said 3, the doc said, No, 2 months. Pam said, No! I’ll see you in 3 months. The doc finally gave in and said ok 3 months but just as soon as you feel something get in here right away. Pam said ok. I could tell that he was almost sure that Pam’s CEA was going to be back up within 2 months, in fact I think he was pretty sure it was going to be up on this visit and I think it caught him off guard. Well, after all that, the doc said I’ll see you in 3 months and then walked out the door. Pam and I were still sitting there. I looked across at Pam, she had here head down and looked so disappointed It got me really pissed off. This is the first time I really got mad. By now the doc was half way down the hallway, I just hollered out , when will you know if she is in remission?!!! The doc walked slowly back into the room and said in a low voice, well she is in remission. I said, Why didn’t you say that?!!! He could tell I was mad. He said because it might come back. Then I hollered at him again, And it might not!!! He kind of changed his tone a little and said, you’re right it might not. Then he started to kind of refer back to what he was talking about earlier and then just said when or if it comes back he was going to put Pam on taxotere. I could tell he was thinking more of when then if. The strange thing was, I’m not sure how much Pam heard past the word remission, Pam’s head came up with a big smile and I don’t think Pam gave a hoot about anything anyone had to say past that word. It took her 3 1/2 years to hear what they all said would not happen and she didn’t care how it came. Pam took all the other imformation and put it on the back burner and focused on that one word. Pam and I took that day off from work and celebrated. It was a great day. Note: One thing I forgot to mention that I was glad to hear was the doc said he didn’t want Pam to get another cat because he didn’t want to take a chance of getting anything started again. That kind of struck me because it had been on my mind a lot and I had been meaning to ask him what his thoughts were on the subject. I think this was great he came out with this without me even asking. It sounded like the doc had been doing his homework. Over a 6 to 12 month period prior to this visit there had been a lot of news on studies showing that too many CT scans and X rays can bring one out of remission. This just helped to shore up what many people have been saying for years. I would like to stop here because I don’t want the reader to get the wrong impression of Pam’s oncologist. Pam and I have a lot of respect for this man. We can tell that he cares a lot and we can also tell that he is always having a hard time trying to stay up front with us and at the same time trying not to be too negative. It’s like he is always walking a tightrope. It was because of this mans experiance and our respect for him that hearing the word remission from him without asking meant a lot to us. Deep inside we knew, but we wanted to hear it from him. It’s to bad I had to holler at him, but I couldn’t take it anymore, and I don’t think Pam could either. He was just being very cautious. To me I would rather have a doctor that’s too cautious than one that’s not cautious enough. Now that I’m on the subject of Pam’s oncologist, I said earlier that Pam told him way back what she was taking and that we didn’t think he even remembers it. Back when Pam told him what she was taking, he seemed to be kind of neutral on the subject. At the time there were three oncologists there, now there’s only two. From time to time Pam would have one of the other oncologist check her out before chemo when her oncologist was not there. Pam, at one time or another, hit both these oncologists with what she was taking to see what their reaction was. One, the one that left, didn’t have a problem with it, although he did kind of get on Pam about taking laetrile. He said I can show you a study that proves it doesn’t work. Pam said, If your’e referring to the study done by Sloan Kettering in the 70’s don’t bother, that was rigged. Pam said the oncologist looked kind of stunned for a bit and then just smiled, I think he just found out Pam doesn’t bow to anybody and if she has her mind made up you’re not going to change it. Pam would have him every now and then and they would argue a little but I think they both liked it, they really liked each other actually. Now, the other oncologist is a different story. The same thing, Pam would have this one when Pam’s regular oncologist was not there, and the same thing, Pam hit him with what she was taking. By the way, this guy was the head oncologist and very big in the area, he traveled between three different clinics at that time, now I think he is just at the one since they became connected with Dana Farber, anyway, when Pam told him what she was taking he had his back to her and wouldn’t even turn around and he never said a word. Finally I said, she doesn’t take the antioxidants on the morning she gets chemo,and all he said was, that’s good anyway, and that was it. A few months latter Pam had him again and somehow Pam’s complimentary protocol came up again. When Pam came home she told me she had Dr —– . I asked, what did he have to say? Pam said, he told me to throw the seeds away, they don’t work. I said, so what are you going to do? Pam said, —- him. I just smiled. After around mid 2000 Pam just stopped mentioning it all together. Now in the last six months or so I’m starting to hear and see a little change in both oncologists attitude on complimentary approaches. Around 10/15/02 I went to the herbal store in my home town. Over the last three years I have gotten to know the pharmacist/hearbalist/owner there, and he had taken an interest in Pam’s progress. When I walked in he told me about a guy that was in earlier that said that he was there on the recommendation of Dr —- ( the head oncologist ) and then he went on to tell him that Dr —- recommends a lot of things to family and friends behind closed doors. Now I can understand the doctors situation as far as recommending something out of protocol, being connected with Dana Farber and all, but I think this is a big step just the same, because at least he may not be so discouraging to somebody that’s trying something on their own. I never did find out what he was recommending. At the same time the owner told me that it is very importent that Pam and I tell Pam’s oncologist what Pam has been doing for the last three years.(now 3 1/2 ) He said that Pam’s story may help to change their attitude towards complimentary treatment. I told him, I think if I gave Pam’s oncologist a full list of what Pam was taking the doc would probably drop to the floor, anyway, I told him Pam and I would think about it but we still haven’t said anything. Now another sign of change of attitude came from a casual friend of my wifes. Pam’s friends farther has been fighting lung cancer for a few years now and has been holding up way better then the oncologist ever thought he would. He has the same oncologist as Pam. February 15, 2003 the oncologist asked him what he was doing, he said he was drinking Essiac tea everyday. Now the tea hasn’t cured him but it sure seems to have helped a lot. What came next really surprised Pam and I. He said the Doc asked him for the recipe and that he may recommend it to some of his patients. I’m sure it would be for adjuvant therapy and not a cure. The way I see it is this is great, they both seem to be opening their minds to things and to me that’s a good start. After hearing the last story Pam and I are starting to rethink telling the doc Pam’s protocol, maybe. On September 5, 2002,  Pam had another CEA done. It was 2.0 . Pam’s oncologist said he was happy with the CEA and then looked her over and said there was no sign of cancer. The doc was very quiet that day and seemed very disturbed and I had a feeling it had nothing to do with Pam. I think something bad happened just before we saw him, his eyes were all watery and it looked like he was trying to get his composer back but was having a hard time doing it. I wouldn’t want his job for anything. Anyway, we didn’t hold him up with a lot of small talk, he just said I’ll see you in three months and then we got out of there. On December 5, 2002 Pam had another CEA done. It was 3.5 . Now this kind of scared me, up a point and a half from the last time, but then the doc came in and I had never seen him so happy, he seemed kind of excited and very positive sounding. I started asking myself, is this the same guy we talked to in June? I wanted to ask, what did you do with Pam’s Doctor? It’s almost as if Pam made it to some small milestone or something but he never said one way or the other. I wonder if maybe it was because 2 years had gone by since the cancer cells in the liquid seeped into her system. I have read before that two years is a milestone with cancer. Anyway I asked him about the CEA going up and he said with a very positive voice, don’t worry, It’s not that accurate, there is no activity, and then he told Pam he will see her in three months. That was a good visit. On January 17, 2003,  Pam had a small mishap, she started to appear to cough up a lot of blood. This scared the hell out of us. Pam went to the emergency room and they did X rays and a blood test and couldn’t figure it out. Finally it slowed down and we went home only to have to go back 12 hours later with it being worse then it was before. Finally it stopped and they told Pam she was going to need a cat and see her oncologist as soon as possible. By the time Pam saw her oncologist the bleeding had stopped and she seemed to be ok. Pam’s oncologist said he thought it was because it had been so dry out that she may have popped a vessel in her nose and because of the post nasal drip it appeared to be coming from her lungs. The doc said he wanted Pam to have a cat and a CEA done and see a lung doctor just to be sure. Then he told Pam not to worry, he said the cat is not going to show anything and the CEA is going to be normal, he said it was just a standard precaution. I remember thinking, this guy sure sounds positive, what the heck happened to make him do such a 180 like that? Anyway he made us both feel better. Note: I can understand why the doc had to tell Pam to get a cat, it was his obligation to, but it still bothers me and Pam. Pam really didn’t want that X ray or cat. When Pam told the doctor at the emergency room her and her oncologists concern on X rays and cats he started to get mad and kind of loud and acted like it was a bunch of bull. I think this doctor has just enough brains to be dangerous. Well, in the end we could see that we had to know and so didn’t the oncologist but it was too bad this had to happen, it had been just about two years without one and we were just starting to feel comfortable. Hopefully that was the last one. On January 24, 2003 Pam had a CEA done. It was 3.4 . She went in to get her cat done but there was a big car accident that day so Pam made another appointment for a week later. On February 5, 2003,  Pam saw the lung doctor. He said that the cat showed a lot of scar tissue and that if there was cancer behind it, it would be hard to see it. He got Pam a little upset. On February 6, 2003 Pam saw her oncologist. He walked into the room just as happy as could be and said everything looks good. Pam told him what the lung doctor said and he said in a loud voice, absolutely not, there is no cancer and that he got Pam worried for nothing. The doc said don’t worry about it, everything looks good, there is nothing there. He told Pam to come in and see him in March but don’t bother to get a CEA done,he said he just wanted to visit with her. I’m still wondering what he did with Pam’s real doc. On March 6, 2003 Pam went to see her oncologist, he wasn’t there, so she saw the head oncologist. Pam really wanted to see her own oncologist but at the same time we thought this is good because it was kind of like getting a second opinion. The oncologist looked Pam over and looked at her latest records and said everything looks perfect and that she don’t need another CEA done until June. Now this was great that the big guy had this much confidence but at the same time we didn’t like the idea of going so long without a CEA ,so Pam called her oncologist a week later and asked to get a CEA done in April. He said no problem. This second opinion did help though. On April 15, 2003 Pam had a CEA done. It was 4.0 . The doc said that he was happy with the CEA and that the rest of the blood work looked real good. I asked the doc if the CEA going up to 4.0 was anything to be concerned about, he said no, he said as long as it is 5.0 or under, 2 points one way or the other is meaningless, he said they are not that accurate, the CEA is fine. Well, this is a good day, it marks two years of a normal CEA and marks one year of a normal CEA without Chemo. I don’t count the month of March of 2002 because I figure it took at least one month for the bulk of the taxol to get out of Pams system. I look at this one year mark as a small milestone and although every normal CEA from here on out is a small milestone, the two year mark, from everything I have read, is a major milestone, then, of course, there is the five year mark set by mainstream as being cured. So Pams just going to keep at it and I’m going to keep my eye out for any new information on staying in remission but I’m not going to spend as much time in front of the computer, I’ve got to get away from it to some degree and start thinking of other things, it’s been a long haul for both Pam and I and we are tired, but I will tell the reader that we are not going to stop short of the goal line. I have seen this many times in my research where someone beats the odds only to stop their protocol a short time later and have it come back. As time goes on, and when things feel right, Pam will slowly bring her protocol down to a maintenance dose and not before.

My Conclusion to Date

In my opinion Pam and I made the right decision in bulding a complementary protocol and adding it to Pams oncology protocol. Just looking back at the facts, both Dana Farber and all three oncologists at home told Pam and I that remission would not happen, although the youngest oncologist at home told Pam that it was highly unlikely, but he can’t say with all certainty that it won’t happen. That was about as good as it got, and Pam had to drag that out of him. So anyway with all the arsenal available at the time between Dana Farber and the clinic at home including experimental they said they had about a 20% chance of extending Pams life or as they call it, perserving the quality of life. By the way, don’t ever say, trying to perserve the quality of life to Pam, She said she was going to shot the next person that said that to her, she got  really sick of hearing it. So given these odds from all these oncologists I would have to think  that the complimentary protocol was the deciding factor in stopping metastases and going into remission. The fact is that all these highly experienced Doctors in the mainstream had no faith at all in their protocols. And on the other side of the coin there are other professionals in the so called alternative medicine practice that have a lot of faith in their protocols for the same prognoses. Now, minus the side effects, I have no doubt the chemo’s did a good job in helping  to stop metastases and slowing the cancer down and I think the Taxol really beat the hell out of the cancer but I think it was the complimentary protocol that helped to get that last 5 to 10% that is always the toughest to get. At the vary least, if Taxol alone put Pam into remission, I believe the complimentary protocol gave Pam the strength to stay with it and later hold in remission. Given the oncologists attitude three months after Taxol, I have to come to the conclusion that Pam’s post chemo protocol is the deciding factor in staying in remission. Some may call it luck, maybe, but I doubt it very much. The oncologist said there was a 20% chance of the 5fu working at all, Pam added Cromolyn sodium, the 5fu worked ( that was luck #1) The  oncologist said the cancer will matastasize to the liver, Pam started laetrile, it didn’t ( that was luck #2 ) The oncologist said that the chemo’s would run her down, Pam’s complimentary protocol got larger, the oncologist said that Pam must just be one of those people with a high  tolerance for chemo. ( that was luck #3 ) The radiologist went too far with the radiation, Pam stuck with her protocol, Pam got through it. ( that was luck #4 ) The oncologist said that Taxol was all there was left to try, we increased and added things complementary to Taxol in Pam’s protocol,the Taxol worked ( that was luck #5)The oncologists said Pam would not go into remission, Pam stuck to her protocol, Pam went into remission. ( that was luck #6 ) The oncologist didn’t think Pam would stay in remission to date, Pam started her post chemo protocol, she is still in remission to date. ( that is Luck #7 ) The oncologist was very concerned with the live cancer cells that seeped into her system, Pam stayed on her protocol, nothing showing 28 months later. ( that is luck #8 ) As lucky as Pam is, one would have to wonder how she ever got cancer in the first place. With all the negativity out there coming from the maintream over combining antioxidants with chemotherapy it puts a lot of pressure on one with cancer to make the decision to do so, but in Pams case the decision was a no-brainer. They all said they couldn’t cure her, and all they could do was maybe give her more time, so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that Pam had to do something on her own to change the outcome. Now if the doctors told Pam that the chemo had a good chance of curing her then making that decision would have been a lot harder so I can see where someone in that situation would feel like they were between a rock and a hard spot. There are more and more doctors out there starting to get with it, and if one is lucky enough to get one of these doctors, it takes alot of pressure off. Something someone with cancer definitely doesn’t need is pressure. As far as a post chemo protocol in my opinion should be a no-brainer for everyone. It only makes sense that there was something missing in the body that caused the cancer to begin with, so trying to fix the problem by putting good things in the body seems to me to be the best solution. Below is some info on antioxidants and chemotherapy. Well that’s my conculsion up to now, I leave it to the reader to draw their conclusion. We know we have a long way to go, but we believe we are on the right path so we are going to stay on it.