Breast Cancer? Breast Health!
By Susun Weed
BREAST CANCER? Things strongly implicated in the initiation, promotion, or growth of breast cancer.
Hormones, especially estradiol and progesterone.
* Sources: Your ovaries, commercial meat and milk, hormone pills, progesterone creams, steroids, cortisone. * Reduced by: Strenous physical activity, pregnancy and lactation, menopause, wise lifestyle and food choices, high levels of phytoestrogens in the diet.
Organochlorines, pesticides, herbicides, bleach, plastics.
* Sources: By-products of bleaching paper, drinking and bathing in chlorinated water, use of bleached tampons, chemical farming practices, water pollution. * Reduced by: Eating organically-grown food, filtering drinking and bathing water, using unbleached paper, using less plastic, buying fresh (not canned) food.
Radiation, especially when young.
* Sources: Mammograms, fallout, x?rays, cell-phones. * Reduced by: Avoidance. Doses are cumulative.
EMFs (Electromagnetic Fields)
* Sources: TVs, hair dryers, microwave towers and ovens, computer monitors, all electrical appliances and lines. * Reduced by: Distance; shielding does little.
Vegetable oils, hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated fats.
* Sources: Corn, sesame, canola, sunflower, soy, flax, and other seed oils; margarine, commercial baked goods and snacks. * Reduced by: Avoidance; read labels. Use organic butter and olive oil exclusively.
Excessive use of alcohol
Excessive calories in the diet * Sources: Easy availability, peer pressure, convenience. * Reduced by: Wise food choices, herbal infusions, hugs.
* Source: Living long. * Reduced by: Dying young. (Not worth it.)
BREAST HEALTH! Things that counter and reverse the initiation, promotion, and growth of cancer.
Consumption of phytoestrogens
* Sources: Red clover infusion, lentils, miso, tamari, roots. A diet rich in cabbage family plants, grains, and beans. * Source: Semi-vegetarian diet.
High dietary intake of carotenes
* Sources: Dark leafy greens, orange and yellow produce.
High dietary levels of vitamin C complex
* Sources: Six to eight servings of fruits and vegetables daily. * Reduced by: Oxidation from washing, heating, aging.
High dietary levels of vitamin E
* Sources: Olive oil, nut butters, freshly-ground flax seeds. * Reduced by: Heat, light, time.
High dietary levels of selenium
* Sources: Organically grown garlic, onions, mushrooms.
Sufficient production and absorption of vitamin D
* Sources: Sunlight, 10 minutes daily; sardines, tuna.
Adequate levels of melatonin production
* Sources: Darkness, low-calorie diet. * Reduced by: Alcohol, beta-blockers, lights on at night.
Regular, significant exercise throughout one’s life.
* Sources: Active lifestyle, yoga, dance, moving! Important: Supplemental vitamin C and E are known to promote cancer. Avoid pills. Get nutrients from whole foods, weeds, and herbs.
Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way copyright 2000, Susun S. Weed, reprinted here with express authorization from the author.
Visit Susun Weed at: http://www.susunweed.com or http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com.